I have been watching YouTube like it’s my full time job recently. General searches for publishing children’s books haven’t been as helpful as you would expect, but months of researching on google, speaking to real people in real life, engaging with people on writers groups and listening to multiple podcasts, has lead to a list of useful YouTube videos for aspiring children’s book authors.
YouTube videos for children’s books
This is a work in progress and I will add more as I discover them.
- Joanna Penn of the Creative Penn – Author and Creative Entrepreneur – Playlist Writing Publishing and Marketing Books for Children
- Karen Inglis – Author of various children’s books and a book called “How to Self-Publish and Market a Children’s Book”
- Brandon Sanderson – Author and lecturer. Series of writing lectures given at BYU. I found the business lecture (number 6 in the series linked here) particularly helpful.
- Keith Wheeler – Part Time Publishing Channel
- Will Terry – Illustrating Children’s Books – Playlist “Drawing Courses for Kids”
- Self-Publishing Formula – Children’s Books Part 1 with Laurie Wright (link to her books on Amazon)
- Self Publishing Formula – Children’s Books Part 2 with Karen Inglis (see above)
I haven’t included the top videos that come up ay the top on a YouTUbe search on this topic as you can check those out easily yourself and they are quite a mixed bag.
On a slightly different but equally important note, there are videos that relate to a creative mindset. My guru here is Elizabeth Gilbert and Big Magic. There are a few YouTube videos that are great – but please read the book (or get the audiobook), it’s amazing.
- Elizabeth Gilbert talks to Marie Forleo
- Elizabeth Gilbert talk for Barnes and Noble
- Big Magic – the book
- Big Magic – the audiobook (I have listened to this about 100 times!)
No pressure right?! GET THE BOOK! Basically this text is a literary permission slip to follow your heart but in a way that won’t break it, or you.